USA Biomedical Library's blog
The Biomedical Library will host extended study hours for exams for the next two weekends. The extended study hours will be as follows:
- Friday, Dec 2, 2011 - 7:15am - 9:45pm
- Saturday, Dec 3, 2011 - 9:00am - 9:45pm
- Friday, Dec 9, 2011 - 7:15am - 9:45pm
- Saturday, Dec 10, 2011 - 9:00am - 9:45pm
Regular and holiday hours can be viewed on the hours page.
photo: Betta Design
The Biomedical Library will be closing for Thanksgiving break at noon on Wednesday, November 23, 2011. It will remained closed Thursday, November 24 and Friday, November 25. We will reopen on Saturday, November 27 with normal operating hours.
Have a great break, and thanks being part of our supportive community!
photo credit: 9teen87
The Biomedical Library has been incredibly busy these few months! Take a look at the new Biofeedback to see just what we've been doing.
- Director's Notes: Interacting with Our Users
- National Medical Libraries Month
- Biomedical Library Satisfaction Survey
- New Student Break Room
- Writing a Grant? Get Help from the Biomedical Library
- New Resources:
- Resource Changes:
- Library News:
- Biomedical Library Supports Breast Cancer Research
- Library Faculty News: New AHIP Member
- Library Hosting Library Science Intern
- Google Launches Social Network: Google+
- MedlinePlus Offers Useful RSS Feeds
- National Library of Medicine Celebrates 175 Years
- Faculty Publications: August-September 2011
Every October, the Biomedical Library celebrates National Medical Libraries Month. This year the theme is Medical Librarians: Your Ultimate Search Engine. Here is how you can join in the celebration:
- Like the Biomedical Library Facebook page or if you are already a fan, leave us a comment on our Facebook page. You could win a USA Dining Card.
- What is your favorite Biomedical Resource? An electronic resource? A special study space? A helpful library employee? Name your favorite, include your contact information, and drop it in the basket at the Circulation Desk of any Biomedical Library location or e-mail to email@example.com. You could win a gift bag of Biomedical Library swag, including a coffee cup.
- Several webinars/workshops will be held during the month on Biomedical Library Resources:
- Lunch and Learn on the SciVerse resource will be held on October 25 at 12 pm, Room 222-A in the Biomedical Library. Learn details on searching both Scopus and Science Direct with one quick search. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- MDConsult Webinar - Oct 11, 3pm, Biomedical Library Room 222-A
- Primal Pictures webinar - Learn details on improving the study of anatomy with this resource. Oct 25, 10 am, Biomedical Library Room 222-A
- Exam Master webinar will be held. Oct 17, 3 pm, Biomedical Library Room 222-A
- Nursing Reference Center/CINAHL webinar to be held. Oct 20, 3pm, Biomedical Library Room 222-A
- Join us for the grand opening of the new Student Break Room. Oct 25, 3pm, Biomedical Library Break Room.
- Librarians are available to present updates to faculty meetings on discipline specific resources and/or mobile technology resources.
- iPad User Group meeting is planned. Many of the BL users now have this mobile technology and a User Group meeting is an opportunity to share tips and resources.
- Look for your health sciences Dean or Biomedical Library librarian or staff member displaying the book that most influenced them.
Be sure to check back for updates to the schedule or like us on Facebook for library updates whenever they happen. Happy National Medical Libraries Month!
Welcome back! The 84th issue of the Biofeedback is now available.
- Director's Notes: Welcome, new students and faculty!
- Impact of Budget Reduction
- Student Break Room Available Soon
- New Clinical Pharmacology Mobile Codes Available
- Featured Resources: Primal Pictures, Exam Master OnLine, and FirstConsult App
- New E-Books in Access Medicine
- Biomedical Library Hosts Dinner for Incoming Medical Students
- Periodicals Price Increase
- Brand New Look for PubMed Central
- State-of-the-Art Thin Client Computing System Arrives at the Biomedical Library
- BL Participates in STARS and STRIPES Summer Programs for High School Students
- The Effects of E-Journals on Research Outcomes
- Biomedical Library Faculty News
- Health Sciences Faculty Recent Publications
Due to projected funding reduction for the upcoming 2011-2012 academic year, the Biomedical Library has looked at its resources, facilities and personnel to see where cuts may be made. The goal is to reduce cost while preserving core resources, minimizing the impact to the greatest number of our users, and keeping in mind the mission of the BL and the University.
One major change will be a slight reduction in library hours. Due to fewer staff, the Baugh (Campus) Biomedical Library will now close an hour earlier, at 10:45, Mon-Thurs, during Fall and Spring Semesters. Hours will remain the same for Friday and Saturday during those Semesters and for all days during Summer Semester. The BL will continue to provide extended hours during exam periods.
By making these changes, we feel the Biomedical Library will still be able to meet the information needs of the faculty staff and students in a timely, but cost-efficient manner.
Fall 2011 Hours
Construction has begun on a new student break room on the first floor of the Biomedical Library. The space will include snack, soft drink, and coffee vending machines, as well as a microwave and seating area. Funding for the break area in the library was provided by the Biomedical Library, College of Medicine, College of Nursing, and College of Allied Health Professions. Be sure to thank your deans for the new area to grab some refreshment between classes and study time.
While construction continues, please excuse the noise in the library. Construction will be completed over the coming weeks.
EDIT TO ADD: Construction of the break room is complete. See the pictures in the Biofeedback article and be sure to stop by the new break room for snacks, coffee, and some time to unwind before you next study session.
The Biomedical Library will be holding extended hours this weekend for the exam study period. The library will remain open until 9:45 on Friday, July 22 and Saturday, July 23, 2011. The weekday summer schedule will remain unchanged, and regular weekend hours will resume the following weekend.
Good luck on exams!
photo: Tom Magliery