USA Biomedical Library's blog
The Biomedical Library will be closed Monday, January 16, 2012 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr Day. It will reopen with regularly scheduled hours on Tuesday morning.
Please consider joining other students, staff, and faculty during the free day at the MLK Day of Service, and honor Dr. King's memory by doing some good in our community! More information about how you can get involved is available on the university website.
The holiday break schedule for the Biomedical Library will be as follows:
Saturday, Dec 17 & Sunday, Dec 18: Closed
Monday, Dec 19-Thursday, Dec 22: 8am-5pm
Friday, Dec 23-Monday, Jan 2: Closed
A campus-wide power-outage will take down the Biomedical Library web server from Monday, December 26 through Friday, December 30. During this time, please use our emergency-access website ALHeLA911.org or the University Library's website to access our resources. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Have a happy holiday season!
The Biomedical Library employees are mourning the passing of co-worker, Loretta Johnson. Loretta began work at the Medical Center Library 25 years ago and later moved to the Campus site where she worked the reference desk and interlibrary loan during the evening hours. Fellow employees have described her as kind, always nice to everyone and a wonderful person. She was also described as a good listener, was loving and had a great sense of humor. Loretta was a caring person and went the extra mile to meet the needs of the library users. She touched the lives of many people, employees and students alike. Her remains will lie in state at Small’s Mortuary, Mobile, AL on Monday, December 12, 2011 from 1:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. Visitation will be held on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 from 9:00 a.m. until the 11:00 a.m. funeral hour in the Small’s Mortuary Chapel, 950 S. Broad St, Mobile, AL. The Interment will follow in the Lawn Haven Cemetery, Theodore, AL. Memories and condolences can be shared via
The latest edition of the Biofeedback is hitting the virtual stands. Happy Holidays!
- Director's Notes - High Tech, High Touch
- Library Services for Children’s and Women’s Hospital
- New Resources Added to AccessMedicine
- Level of Evidence Added to Clinical Pharmacology Oncology Drug Monographs
- Your Favorite Library Resources
- All Hospital Library Staff Are Now Consumer Health Information Specialists
- PubMed Health - A Growing Resource for Clinical Effectiveness Information
- Free E-Books Now Available for National Academies Press
- Health and Safety Information About Common Dietary Supplements
- Haz-Map: Link Work-Related Diseases and Chemicals
- PubMed & PubMed Central: What is the difference?
- The Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association Joins MEDLINE
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine Membership
The Biomedical Library will host extended study hours for exams for the next two weekends. The extended study hours will be as follows:
- Friday, Dec 2, 2011 - 7:15am - 9:45pm
- Saturday, Dec 3, 2011 - 9:00am - 9:45pm
- Friday, Dec 9, 2011 - 7:15am - 9:45pm
- Saturday, Dec 10, 2011 - 9:00am - 9:45pm
Regular and holiday hours can be viewed on the hours page.
photo: Betta Design
The Biomedical Library will be closing for Thanksgiving break at noon on Wednesday, November 23, 2011. It will remained closed Thursday, November 24 and Friday, November 25. We will reopen on Saturday, November 27 with normal operating hours.
Have a great break, and thanks being part of our supportive community!
photo credit: 9teen87
The Biomedical Library has been incredibly busy these few months! Take a look at the new Biofeedback to see just what we've been doing.
- Director's Notes: Interacting with Our Users
- National Medical Libraries Month
- Biomedical Library Satisfaction Survey
- New Student Break Room
- Writing a Grant? Get Help from the Biomedical Library
- New Resources:
- Resource Changes:
- Library News:
- Biomedical Library Supports Breast Cancer Research
- Library Faculty News: New AHIP Member
- Library Hosting Library Science Intern
- Google Launches Social Network: Google+
- MedlinePlus Offers Useful RSS Feeds
- National Library of Medicine Celebrates 175 Years
- Faculty Publications: August-September 2011
Every October, the Biomedical Library celebrates National Medical Libraries Month. This year the theme is Medical Librarians: Your Ultimate Search Engine. Here is how you can join in the celebration:
- Like the Biomedical Library Facebook page or if you are already a fan, leave us a comment on our Facebook page. You could win a USA Dining Card.
- What is your favorite Biomedical Resource? An electronic resource? A special study space? A helpful library employee? Name your favorite, include your contact information, and drop it in the basket at the Circulation Desk of any Biomedical Library location or e-mail to email@example.com. You could win a gift bag of Biomedical Library swag, including a coffee cup.
- Several webinars/workshops will be held during the month on Biomedical Library Resources:
- Lunch and Learn on the SciVerse resource will be held on October 25 at 12 pm, Room 222-A in the Biomedical Library. Learn details on searching both Scopus and Science Direct with one quick search. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- MDConsult Webinar - Oct 11, 3pm, Biomedical Library Room 222-A
- Primal Pictures webinar - Learn details on improving the study of anatomy with this resource. Oct 25, 10 am, Biomedical Library Room 222-A
- Exam Master webinar will be held. Oct 17, 3 pm, Biomedical Library Room 222-A
- Nursing Reference Center/CINAHL webinar to be held. Oct 20, 3pm, Biomedical Library Room 222-A
- Join us for the grand opening of the new Student Break Room. Oct 25, 3pm, Biomedical Library Break Room.
- Librarians are available to present updates to faculty meetings on discipline specific resources and/or mobile technology resources.
- iPad User Group meeting is planned. Many of the BL users now have this mobile technology and a User Group meeting is an opportunity to share tips and resources.
- Look for your health sciences Dean or Biomedical Library librarian or staff member displaying the book that most influenced them.
Be sure to check back for updates to the schedule or like us on Facebook for library updates whenever they happen. Happy National Medical Libraries Month!
Welcome back! The 84th issue of the Biofeedback is now available.
- Director's Notes: Welcome, new students and faculty!
- Impact of Budget Reduction
- Student Break Room Available Soon
- New Clinical Pharmacology Mobile Codes Available
- Featured Resources: Primal Pictures, Exam Master OnLine, and FirstConsult App
- New E-Books in Access Medicine
- Biomedical Library Hosts Dinner for Incoming Medical Students
- Periodicals Price Increase
- Brand New Look for PubMed Central
- State-of-the-Art Thin Client Computing System Arrives at the Biomedical Library
- BL Participates in STARS and STRIPES Summer Programs for High School Students
- The Effects of E-Journals on Research Outcomes
- Biomedical Library Faculty News
- Health Sciences Faculty Recent Publications