USA Biomedical Library's blog
The USA Biomedical Library will be closed for Easter on Sunday, April 20, 2014. We will be open on the Friday and Saturday preceding, as usual, and will reopen for regularly scheduled hours on Monday, April 21.
photo credit: Påskekort (Easter card), ca 1916, National Library of Norway
In celebration of National Library Week, the University Libraries will be collecting books for the children and teens of the USA Children’s Medical Center. Please consider donating new or gently-used books for young people at one of our drop boxes located at the Baugh Biomedical Library, UMC Health Information Resource Center (on the 3rd floor), or at the Marx Library. The book drive will run from this Friday, April 11 to Friday, April 18. If you would like to arrange for pick-up of a box, have a box stationed in your department, or if you have further questions, please contact Andrea Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org or 461-1424.
Welcome to the 100th issue of the Biofeedback Newsletter!
- Director's Notes
- Meet New Outreach Librarian Christy C. Kent
- Librarians Participate in Homeless Connect Event
- New Platform for AccessMedicine & Access Surgery
- ClinicalKey Personal Account & Quick Guide
- Medicine Portal Update
- The Value of Medical Libraries and Librarians in Today’s Health Care Environment
- Online Data Sources
- Altmetrics: New Way of Looking At Research Productivity
- Subject Guides from the National Library of Medicine
- Older Citations Added to PubMed
- Faculty Publications - January-March 2014
The Baugh Biomedical Library will be observing a special Spring Break schedule between Friday, February 28 and Sunday, March 9. In addition, all Biomedical Library locations will be closed on Tuesday, March 4 for the Mardi Gras celebration. See below for details.
- Friday, 2/28 - 7:15am-4:45 pm
- Saturday, 3/1 - 9:00am-5:45pm
- Sunday, 3/2 - 1:00pm-9:45pm
- Monday, 3/3 - 7:15am-9:45pm
- Tuesday, 3/4 - Closed - Mardi Gras
- Wednesday & Thursday, 3/5-6 - 7:15am-9:45pm
- Friday, 3/7 - 7:15am-4:45pm
- Saturday, 3/8 - 9:00am-5:45pm
- Sunday, 3/9 - 1:00pm-9:45pm
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Photo: Drum Major Clifford Alexander Jr. posing for Alabama Community Scholar Holly Fowler from the collection of the Alabama Folklife Association
Winter weather delayed the publication of the January Biofeedback, but you can catch up on what has been happening at the USA Biomedical Library below.
- Director's Notes
- ClinicalKey Replaces MDConsult
- Joanna Briggs Institute Evidence-Based Practice Database Now Available
- JOVE Science Education Video Collection
- New Editions of Red Book E-Books Added
- Biomedical Library Subscribes to BMJ Best Practice
- Using Biomedical Library and Its Resources Can Save Time and Money
- Digital Commons Network - Medicine and Health Sciences Repository
- Patients' Source of Health Information
- Barbara Lewis Retires
- Evelyn Reed Retires
- PubReader View in PubMed Central
- Copyright Corner: Public Domain Day
- Keeping Up With NLM Products
- Faculty Publications - November 2013-January 2014
photo credit: PublicDomainReview.org
The Biomedical Library will be closed on Monday, January 20, 2014 in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. We will re-open with regularly schedule hours on Tuesday, January 21 at 7:15 am.
Make sure to take part in the MLK Day of Service with the university here in Mobile or find an opportunity to participate in your home town!
Photo: Jerry Pogue carries the American flag as members of Mobile's black, white, religious, and lay communities march down Davis Avenue in Mobile, Alabama, on April 7, 1968, in commemoration of the assassination of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
From the collection of the Doy Leale McCall Rare Book and Manuscript Library at the University of South Alabama. Available online as part of the Alabama Mosaic Collection.
The Baugh Biomedical Library's semester break hours will be as follows:
- Monday, December 16, 2013 - Friday, December 20, 2013: 8am-5pm
- Saturday, December 21, 2013 - Wednesday, January 1, 2014: closed
All libraries will re-open with regularly-scheduled hours on Thursday, January 2, 2014.
The UMC Health Information Resource Center will observe the following special hours:
- Monday, December 23, 2013 - 8am-4pm
- Tuesday, December 24 - Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - closed
- Thursday, December 26, 2013 - Friday, December 27, 2013 - 8am-4pm
- Monday, December 30, 2013 - 8am-4pm
- Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - Wednesday, January 1, 2014 - closed
The usual process and requirements will be in place for off-hour access at the hospital location over the holidays.
Happy Holidays from the faculty and staff of the USA Biomedical Library!
photo: C-4063: Skating on Mobile Bay, 1940.
Courtesy of Howard Barney,
The Doy Leale McCall Rare Book and Manuscript Library,
University of South Alabama
The Biomedical Library will be closed for Thanksgiving break from noon on Wednesday, November 27 through Friday, November 29. We will re-open with regular hours at 9 am on Saturday, November 30.
Enjoy your time off!
photo credit: vxla
Welcome to the 98th issue of the Biofeedback Newsletter. We hope you enjoy the upcoming holiday seasons with your family and friends.
- Director's Notes - Withdrawal Policy
- Exam Master Adds Learning Mode
- BMJ Now Also Offers Android App
- Lessons Learned and a Volunteer Opportunity
- New Books Added to Collection
- "Measuring Your Impact" Course at Biomedical Library
- PubMed Commons
- SciENcv: My NCBI's Curriculum Vitae Web App
- Consumer Health Information Mini-Survey
- Bonnie Seibert Retires After 25 Years
- Librarians Present at Southern Chapter MLA Meeting
- Faculty Publications - Sept-Nov 13
Photo: group of women circa 1930
from the collection of
The Doy Leale McCall Rare Book and Manuscript Library
University of South Alabama
The Biomedical Library will be closed due to a campus-wide power outage on Sunday, December 15, 2013. We will re-open on Monday, December 16 from 8am-5pm beginning our holiday hours schedule.
Unfortunately during this time our web server will also lose power. While we will work to restore access to our website as soon as possible, our resources are also available through our ALHeLA911.org, our disaster preparedness back-up, as well as through the USA Marx Library, to which service should not be affected.